Friday, July 29, 2011

Adjustment

I wrote that last post the first night that I arrived in India. Sorry that I had published it so late, but that was the first time I had internet access. So, it turns out that my first night when I stayed In Mumbai I was actually in BOLLYWOOD!!!!!!!!  and my house was right next to the most famous movie star in India, but I did not meet him or anything L I was not aware of this fact until after I left so I do not have any pictures either, but I can tell you that it was surprisingly unimpressive. It was a very nice home and the area was nice, but for the most elite part of India it was nothing. I would compare it to an upscale suburb that could be found in any small town.  
I am not sure how many days I have been here, but I think it has been a week. I believe today is Thursday  :/ It is very hard for me to differentiate the days because I have been sleeping for almost my entire stay here. Firstly, there is a 10 and a half hour time difference and therefore my days and nights are switched around and it is hard for me to sleep on schedule. Secondly coming from USA to India I have lost a whole day’s worth of sleep. Thirdly, my body cannot process Indian food properly; the food is very heavy and VERY spicy. I could rant for hours about Indian food, but I will save that for another post. Indian people eat literally every half an hour, and not just a snack an entire meal! It is ridiculous, but like I said I will tell you more in detail later. Anyway, within only the first week of being here my culture shock is over. Everything around me seems natural. Obviously I still have much more to learn, but I’m starting to feel more comfortable. I am very surprised at how fast my body is able to adjust.  I have not done much yet. Actually I have barely left the house except to EAT! Today I am going to go shopping for Indian clothing and on Monday I will start school. Eventually I will find things to do, I just have to get a little bit more settled in my routine. I am signing up for many classes like mendhi, dance and language. This morning I started my yoga class which was very interesting. I have a teacher that comes to my house every morning at 6:00. It’s a great way to start the day. However Indian yoga and American yoga are very different. In America yoga is an exercise, but in India it is a series of breaths that strengthen certain organs in the body. It energizes my body for sure, but it has also made me very sore. It is very fun and my entire family wakes up to do yoga together. I can’t wait to take more classes and learn about Indian culture!

2 comments:

  1. Nicole, it's so wonderful that you are adjusting already! I'm so happy you're keeping us updated!!! Keep posting and have a great time (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your host family eats every 30 minutes? Strange, I normally went at least 2 hours in between meals... :P

    Seriously, the standards of living are different in India than they are in America. You'll get used to it the more you're surrounded by it, and it offers a stark new perspective on the American life. By the end of your exchange, that Bollywood star's house (Shah Rukh Khan? Salman Khan? Aamir Khan?) will seem like a mansion. It's all about perspective.

    Keep adapting and having fun!

    ReplyDelete